Friday, 17 February 2012

Things that terrorise me: Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)

There is something sinister about a mirrored face.

This is a short film from 1943 I want to share with you. It is called 'Meshes of the Afternoon' and is something that has stuck in my mind ever since I saw it. I think I caught it being shown in the Tate Modern and there's two particular images/scenes that have stayed with me or tapped into some sort of innate fear that I have never forgotten them. Firstly here's the film:



The two things that have stayed with me are the mirrored faced character that haunts the film and strangely the slow manner in which the woman runs up the stairs. Her feet barely touch the stairs as she tries to run. I think this taps into some memory of dreams where I have tried to run or escape something fearful yet my legs and feet won't move or are going in slow motion like hers do. I think the film is based on a dream with the character being asleep at some points and I wonder if this is a feeling they were trying to capture on film.

It took me a long time to actually find out what this film I saw was. I had also exaggerated in my mind the struggle the female character has trying to run up the stairs, possibly merging the scene with a past memory of a dream.

I will be working with some illustrations of some nightmares I have had and no doubt this film will be in the back of my mind while I work.

No comments:

Post a Comment